Something about the Scourge and the physiognomy of the Toxic, something unique to them as the lucid and infected, is that they exhibit certain extraordinary (some say supernatural) capacities that others don’t. Following is a digest of those capacities that all Toxic seem to share.
SCRY GRADE ø – Universal Scream:
- Heat Auras: Subjects report seeing the occasional strange lights, auras, and halos over other Toxic’s heads, and could thus sometimes tell when someone else is Toxic (even if they are warm). This also seems to give the observer clues to a target’s mental and emotional state. Subjects also report being able to smell when other Toxic have recently been nearby (“like rotting meat”, etc.).
- Othertime: Most Toxic report having vivid dreams, and these dreams all seem to be located in the same shared dream world known as the Othertime (aka: OT). Many describe it as a mythic, neon wonderland of impossible challenges, insane creatures, and bizarre encounters; a place of pestilence, war, chaos, beauty and wonder. Some claim that Skags dream here as well. So commonplace is the phenomenon that Tox call their dream avatars “glitches”, and it is common for a crew to share what happened to them all when they awake.
BIOFIX GRADE ø – Universal Agony:
- Idealized Self: The virus requires its host to be happy (for lack of a better word), so it ensures its host is the most beautiful, fit, and graceful version they can be when low in Odium (“warm”), which is of course the exact opposite of the hideous creatures they become when cold and full of Odium.
- Senescence: Toxic do not age normally and often remain the age they were when they were defiled (dependant on how long they can survive in the half-life). While Odium does give the appearance of aging and decrepitude, it is not true aging.
VELOX GRADE ø – Universal Rush:
- Speed Demon: All Toxic have slightly faster reflexes and can move more quickly than comparable living people at the same level of physical fitness. (Skags are much slower than when they were human, of course; unless Skags are extremely well trained, they cannot run at all.)
- Quick Thinker: Subjects seem to be able to think more quickly than almost all living cases tested. It’s not much of an edge, but it certainly seems to make all the difference in certain situations.
LEPROX GRADE ø – Universal Fever:
- Carrier: Subjects can turn the living into Skags through infection. They can even make other Toxic “Skag out” through biting them savagely while in a state of extreme malignance/cold.
- Death Mask: When subjects eat brains, they can not only access recent memories, but that person’s (or animal’s) entire life. The subject, however, becomes partially incapacitated for up to an hour or more as they live vicariously through the experiences of another, and the process is highly addictive.
NECRO GRADE ø – Universal Clutch:
- Robusto: Being clinically dead, Toxic brains and bodies are immune to many states that affect living beings. Physical needs are reduced: sleep/rest; air/breathing; food, drink, environmental effects and extreme temperature. They can stay physically active for long periods of time and eat and gain energy from things ordinary people or even animals could not (e.g., motor oil and dirt).
- Play Dead: With a little practice Toxic can learn how to completely turn off their heartbeat and breathing and show little to no sign of life, indeed can remain unmoving for long periods of time without side effects living would experience. Allows long term catatonic comas in situations where movement is not possible (being buried alive).
TOXO GRADE ø — Universal Terror:
- Command Skags: All Toxic can give untrained and unbound Skags simple, direct, and in-the-moment commands in a clear loud voice. Subjects can train them to do simple, basic tasks (clean the floor, guard the door, dig the hole, etc.) by repeating instructions over and over again over a number of weeks, as one would with a dog.
- Bind Skags: Subjects can bind Skags to themselves (or a client) by training them over many weeks (between 60-170 hours). These infected will become bound to their master (or a client, such as a hospice) and will only do the master’s bidding.
DOX GRADE ø – Universal Paradox:
- Purgis Restoration: Subjects can cleanse themselves of all Odium during Purgis, restoring a Toxic to full health in an almost-immediate transition from cold to warm.
- Regeneration: The Toxic have very fast physical healing. Every wound quickly repairs itself—almost magically—within hours (days at most), but at a price: When Toxic heal, they gain Odium, and fast.
GIZMO GRADE ø – Universal Writhing:
- Radiohead: Tox can pick up radio waves (AM, FM & TV broadcasts, cellphones, and even police and military bandwidths), though it is difficult to sort through thousands of channels. Some report being able to listen to encrypted messages and make sense out of them. Expression is more effective the closer Tox is to the source.
- Magnetism: Most subjects have been observed to create small magnetic fields which can draw metal objects towards them, as well as wreck havoc with modern computers. Perhaps as a result, most Toxic appear to have an affinity with machines.